Friday, June 15, 2007

My Father

My brother and I arrive at the hospital.
The emergency room receptionist fails to realize our rush. I have urges to punch her, dash past her into the emergency room, and cry hystericly, all at the same time. After an eternity she gives us his room number.
Kathleen is standing next to my Dad's bed looking as she has just finished crying. Duncan gives her a hug. Dad is writhing in the bed, in obvious pain. I take my place at his side, opposite of Kathleen and Duncan.
For some reason, Dad decides he needs to sit up and get out of the bed. In his drugged and morphined state he tells me to grab his arm. I humor him and take his arm, pulling slightly, hoping he will abandon the idea. He's with it enough to know, I'm makeing a lame ass effort and calls me on it. "Sara, pull harder!" he yells, "harder!"
I look around me for help, not sure what to do. He obviously can't get up, he hasn't walked in over a month, he can't even support his weight. I few days ago I watched as to firefighters made that verry assumption and dropped him on the floor. God that was aweful to watch, that scream still haunts my dreams. I wanted to fucking rip their heads off for doing that.
"HARDER" my dad screams at me, I look at the nurse helplessly, I don't want to help him up, but I don't want to say no to a dieing man.
I start to cry, which makes my Dad more mad. "Sara, why are you crying?!"
A nurse takes mercy on me and leads me from the room. She gives me a big motherly hug outside the door. "He doesn't know whats going on honey" she says, "It's the morphine, it makes them hallucenate, and say things they don't mean. My daddy died a few months ago, I know how it is. The best thing you can do is hold his hand and be there. Its going to be ok"

No comments: